Monday, March 1, 2010

The Bird-nerd Chronicles

March 1, 2010
Lat/Lon 25 5.2 N, 80 26.8 W

I am a bird nerd.
When I was a little girl, my father would point out different types of birds to me. He’d set up his spotting scope on nests so that I could watch the feathered families grow. Since then, I’ve been fascinated with birds.

All my life I’ve kept track of all the different species of birds I’ve seen. This trip has been great because I'm in an area I've never really been before, so I’ve added over 20 new birds to my ‘life long list’. Most of them have been ocean/shore birds because that's where I've been hangin' out, and it's a bit too early for songbird migration yet.

Yes, I am a bird-nerd. What I am not is a wildlife photographer, so all of these photos have been taken from the internet. I greatly admire, appretiate, and thank all those amazing photographers with the ability, equipment and mostly, the patience to take these beautiful photos.


This bird, the Northern Gannet, was my favorite new find. What beautiful birds! I saw 2 of them in the Dry Tortugas.







Other new birds I saw out in the Dry Tortugas:



lft- Brown Booby,
(yes that’s a bird, not a naked
lady with a tan).


Sooty Tern - rt






lft - Magnificent Frigatbird






Black Skimmer - rt





Some of the new birds I’ve seen in other areas on this trip:

lft - Masked Booby



White Ibis - rt








lft - Green Heron









Little Blue Heron - rt




lft - Ruddy Turnstone








Laughing Gull - rt



lft - Gull-billed Tern









Eurasian Collared Dove - rt


Other new birds not pictured here:

Red Footed Booby (shown in earlier post)
White Pelican
Great White Egret
Fosters Tern
Royal Tern (shown in earlier post)
Least Tern
Boat tailed Grackle
Northern Mockingbird

3 comments:

Jodi said...

WOW. That's neat that you've seen so many new birds. Some of those are just beautiful, love the brown booby. They look so clumsy.

kate said...

Cool!!! You've got quite the life-list going!! I'm so jealous!

Dee said...

What beautiful birds and how exciting to add so many to your list. I WANT a Northern Gannet! It is a gorgeous bird-----just look at that sweet face ! And those eyes!