Sunday, March 14, 2010

On the road again!.... oops, I mean ocean!

March 15, 2010
Hi 74 Lo 59
Lat/Lon 27 11.9 N, 80 15.0 W

The engine is repaired and we left Miami, heading north to Indian Town. We are currently in a great little place called Manatee Pocket, inside the St. Lucie Inlet.

We got underway at 3pm yesterday. We sailed through the night and arrived here at 7:15am this morning. It was my first all-night passage. With the help of Jay and Sarah, we took 3 hour shifts as couples, and sailed all night. We had a good westerly wind and the northerly current of the Gulf Stream with us. We were averaging about 9 or 10 knots! A few times we were flying through the night at 11 knots! Yeeehawww!!!! Hang on tight, Gracie Bird!!!

The only bad part about the all-nighter was that I got sea-sick for the first time. :o( I think the combination of being below, trying to sleep during bumpy sailing, and then coming up to darkness where you can’t see the horizon, was more than my system could handle. But once I barfed over the side, I felt FINE,… Just FIIINNEEE!!!

Today and tomorrow the sails and canvas covers come off and we make our way up to Indian Town to hoist our little Quest up onto the hard for the summer. (I’ll post pictures of Quest in her birthday suit!) …giggle…
It’s going to be sad to say “Good bye” to her. But we’ll be back in only 6 or 7 months to take her down to the Bahamas. She’ll like that!

Thank you Jay and Sarah for ALL of your help.

Stay tuned to the blog, because even after we get home, I have more stories and photos to share.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Wellllll, ya held out for a long time and then your "sailorness" failed you. but geeeeeze, that happens to the best of 'em sometimes.

Looks like you get rain today. I just hope you don't grow moss !

Unknown said...

Great blog Linda and Syd! I can't believe you are returning home already. Call us and let's get together on Shiraz. I want to hear all about everything.