Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Looe Key is fantastic!

February 15, 2010
SUNNY! WARM!
Hi 74 Lo 54
Lat/Lon 24 32.9 N, 81 24.4 W

Yipeeee! A sunny day! Today, we spent a couple of hours at Bahia State Park and enjoyed some beach time. Sean and I did a little snorkeling there. I wore my wet suit because, no, the water is not warm here. Especially when the air is 68 to 70 degrees, the wind is blowing 20 knots. (We are too far away from the Gulf Stream. So the water is about 68 here. )
After a couple of hours at Bahia Honda, we went out to Looe Key, which is supposed to be really good snorkeling. It’s right on the reef. No land there, just a tiny bit of reef that sits above the surface, and a whole bunch of reef that sits below. It’s closer to the Gulf Stream, so the water is a few degrees warmer.

W.O.W. !!! Looe Key was fantastic! We had a beautiful, sunny day, and the water was soooo clear! Great visibility!

You can’t imagine how many fish there were! Lots of different species and varieties! And fan coral and brain coral. We all had such a great time. Sid and Diane wore wet suit jackets, but Sean and I just wore our swimsuits. We would have loved to stay there all day, but we had to get back to an anchorage before dark. I'm fairly sure we'll be back at some point before we leave for the season.

We didn’t get much in the way of photos at Looe Key because we were all in the water, and that dumb dog doesn’t know how to use a camera! I did take a couple from the deck of the boat. Look at those fish! That's just off the deck, you can imagine what it was like down under the surface!


Sean and Diane are leaving early in the morning. We hate to see them go. They have been such fun to have here. Sean is an awesome deck hand! And Diane is just the funniest person ever! I have really enjoyed getting to know Sid’s kids better.


Note: I'm not able to post many pictures because my internet is 'dial up' and it takes about 15 minutes per photo to download. (Which can easily make it take over an hour to do 1 post.) If I ever get to REAL internet access again, I'll try to post a whole bunch of photos.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Being on the beach looks so great. So glad you finally got some sun. Too bad the kids have to leave, you enjoyed them so much. And I 'm sure they loved their "vacation".
Thanks for sharing, I'm loving this.

Jamie said...

umm, you haven't said anything about seeing the SHARKS????? or did they heed my warning not to bother the newcomers..... :)